May 15, 2013 - As previously announced, the Texas Flying Legends Museum plans to bring an amazing collection of World War II aircraft to AirVenture this year and have them on display on Warbird Alley most of the week.
We also mentioned that one of those airplanes, a C-53 Skytrooper (C-47 variant), will transport a group of veterans to AirVenture representing airmen who flew many of TFLM's various aircraft types in military service. These veterans will participate in the popular Warbirds in Review presentations, whose full schedule will be announced soon.
EAA will provide profiles of these "greatest generation" veterans in the coming weeks leading up to the convention, so stay tuned. The vets include:
David Born, 479th FG, USAAF
- Merton Hansen, VMO-5, USMC
- Clarence "Clancy" Hess, 1st Marine Air Wing, USMC
- Don "Mac" McKibben, 352nd FG, USAAF
- Bill "Tiger" Lyons, 355th FG, USAAF
- Margaret Lawler, WWII War Bride
- Joe McPhail, VMF-441 and 323, and later VMFA-214, USMC
- Herb Stachler, 366th FG, USAAF
- Vic Tatelman, 345th BG, USAAF